28.4.11

Geomantic Dice. At last!!!!


How blisteringly awesome are these puppies!

I used to generate the four mothers used to calculate a geomantic chart using dried beans drawn randomly from a bag. Cattan mentions this method as being used by high-class prostitutes in Bologna to generate charts, which gave me a naughty giggle. I of course couldn't resist trying it myself.

This takes a long time however. I do so many charts every week that I caved and started using four colour coded six-sided dice, converting the odd and even numbers appropriately. I longed for special geomantic dice with dots and even considered making some but never got around to it.

The wait is over, it seems!

Some enterprising fellow from http://www.divinersdice.com posted about these on the Geomantic Campus forum and I am just gagging to give them a whirl. $25 gets you the set. $10 for a single.

UPDATE:

divinersdice.com have got back to me and after a short delay, they have confirmed that they are open for business and taking orders. They temporarily have sold out of the sets of 4 colour coded dice, but still have the single dice available. Rest assured they will be manufacturing more of the sets and lucky for me they reserved one remaining set for me! Thanks divinersdice.com! :-)


12 comments:

  1. That made me 'Squee'!

    Currently I use a regular pair of stone dice for geomancy readings, but these look awesome! I may invest in these sometime in the future.

    Thanks for posting about this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful , i like this , creativity and divination is the right thing ! My compliments !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way cool! Did you order the dice? How? They list a price, but no shopping cart seems apparent.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cool. Greer mentions geomantic dice in 'the Art and Practice of Geomancy' but I'd never seen em. It seems I'm not the only one that went for the beans lol. While I like these dice and think they're innovative I'm still going about collecting lil pebbles from various nature spots to use alternatively or in lieu of the beans. Just seems right. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those are fantastic. I have been using beans randomly drawn as well. I will have to pick up a set of these.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I need to get me some of these. Here I am still doing charts the long way with pen and paper or stick and sand to generate the figures.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love it! I was using the stick-and-dots method too for a bit, but then went over to using the Chain of St. Michael method from Vito Quattrocci's Benedicaria works which really streamlined everything. One throw gets you one complete figure.

    I like these dice though - getting the 4 Mothers in one throw makes it all the more efficient! I might have to pick up a set!

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh wait! I just saw that each die gives you one line of the figure, so each throw of 4 die produces the one figure.

    Still cool. :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well, not sure what the deal is folks but this guy is not responding to any of mails. Even after I blogged about his new product? Not sure what the deal is... I'm hoping that it's for real. :-/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello everyone, sorry about the delay in responding to your emails. Yes, the dice are available, but I only have two of the color-coded 4-packs left until I have more manufactured, which takes two weeks. I have plenty of the single dice however.

    Thank you for your interest and I hope you enjoy the dice!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just purchased a set a few weeks ago. I found the response and delivery prompt and professional and the dice are great. I've already used them a few times and have been happy with the accuracy of the charts I got.

    ReplyDelete