15.12.10

Best laid plans of mice and men

Well that was interesting.

Went to bed on Sunday evening feeling a little under the weather and woke up on Monday with a high temperature, cough, aches and pains etc. I assumed it was a bad cold so I stayed in bed. And then my temperature climbed, and climbed, and climbed. Got up on Tuesday morning not feeling good at all. Sat next to my husband on the couch and said; "I feel kind of dizzy baby". I then had a seizure.

I have never had one before and let me tell you it gets people worried.

Anyway, about fifteen minutes later we are in the ER and the doctors were reaching consensus that bacterial or viral meningitis might be the cause; and then my physician casually remarked that a spinal tap would be needed to make sure. I assumed he meant the other spinal tap. You know, the one that doesn't involve shoving a long thick needle into my spine in order to siphon out cerebrospinal fluid. Oh wait.

I fainted during the first attempt. So don't let any of those crafty doctors smooth talk you into a recreational spinal tap. They definitely hurt. A lot.

It turns out I don't have any kind of meningitis but rather a truly severe form of flu. I am part 0.2% (or something) of adults who have seizures when their core temperature goes critical.

Another interesting thing about the spinal tap is that until your body has replaced that cerebrospinal fluid it has the curious side effect of leaving you unable to sit or stand up fully because the change in pressure produces blinding pain in your head. I also discovered that during a seizure you kind of sprain every muscle in your pack as your body goes rigid exorcist style (apparently the sound effects were pretty awesome too).

Resultanty I am unable to lay down, sit or stand up without being in some degree of agony.

I suppose I should mention some deft sorcerous trick that helped to swing things in my favor but frankly there was none. I was quite out of it for the most part, although I did manage a terrified Our Father as the second spinal tap attempt commenced. The real magic was having had enough insight and good fortune to marry my wonderful husband; who got me to the hospital in a flash and blur practically carrying me in his arms; who sat through the entire day of brainscanning, tests and whatnot holding my hand whenever he could and who cried along with me during the second spinal tap. Now he is busy doing all the house moving stuff by himself after only having had a few hours sleep fussing with me the whole night.

Just wanted to let you all know what has been up. Keep us in you thoughts and hopefully all will be back to normal pretty soon.

13 comments:

  1. Eina! I hope you get well soon!

    Rider+Tree+Clover

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I'm sorry to hear that. You guys hang in there, okay? I hope you feel better, and pain-free, soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Prayed for you yesterday when your husband replied to my text.

    Glad yuore not a brain eating zombie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. take care Chad.
    hugz ! jordan

    ReplyDelete
  5. well, hell...when you get sick you don't go halfway, do you? having witnessed seizures, they are petrifying to watch...hope you heal soonest! any WiseWords from your dr.? (& strength & kudos to your husband!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, heaven's Balthazar! I hope you get better soon. I'll light a candle and say a prayer for you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I will set a light for your healing and comfort tonight! I hope you're having a speedy recovery. And it's true that a good and attentive husband is a very real blessing. Please let me know if there is anything I can do for you.

    I had a seizure during a high fever when I was a teenager. It was a completely surreal experience. My mother had stripped me naked and was pouring cold water down my body to try and bring my fever down. I told her I felt like I was about to pass out - and then everything went black and then I open my eyes hearing my mother praying over me in tongues. At first I was confused because I thought maybe I should be understanding what she was saying, but then I realized she was praying...and KNEW something serious was up, because she doesn't just break out the tongues for nothing! Turns out I had seized when I passed out. Paramedics were called, yadda yadda. No spinal tap, though - I'm so proud you pulled through that!

    Be well, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So sorry to hear of your illness. I will be praying for your full and speedy recovery. Take care!

    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  9. :( no more spinal taps for you mister. I will send you some Reiki.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wishing a complete and speedy recovery to you brother, you'll be in our thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  11. We've set lights for you at the St Martha Botanica shrine, get well soon x

    ReplyDelete
  12. I do hope you feel fully better soon, so you can go back and punch whatever doctor did your tap in the face. Properly lidocaine'd, there should be zero, ZERO pain. I literally couldn't feel mine when my doctors thought I'd had a small aneurysm.

    The blinding-white pain I can identify with. They should have injected a small amount of your own blood into the tap site (called a blood-patch) and let you lay down for 8 hours or so to seal it off, but odds are they didn't want you taking up the ER bed for that long. Stay on your back and keep a ginormous stock of Diet Coke handy, the fluid and caffeine will keep the blood vessels in your head constricted and lessen the pounding. Ibuprofen helps a lot, too.

    My prayers are with you, brother.

    ReplyDelete