25.7.10

Cleanse early, cleanse often

I was going through a patch of bad luck this week. It started rather mildly with an odd feeling that something was a little off, but then it soon developed as I lost a transport card loaded with quite a bit of money, next I ended up late for an appointment because some clocks were mysteriously set back an hour, along with a series of rather annoying accidents and inconveniences which accrued over two days, giving me the distinct impression that something was working against me. Finally, when my irritable mood indicated that I could ignore it no longer I sat down for a reading to investigate what was wrong. Experience has shown me that these small streaks of bad luck can precede something a lot worse, as a kind of early warning - and if you ignore the small indicators then that bigger nasty thing catches up with you. If you work a lot with spirits; in graveyards or with graveyard dirt; or are casting spells of some sort then you are open to picking up stuff - either while you are doing the magical work, or from the people and places in your life. Worse, someone might actually be throwing for you or you may have inadvertently offended a spirit that you worked with.

Anyway, I was glad when the reading revealed nobody was burning candles on my name, nor were any spirits pissed at me. It turns out I had picked something up in a bar where I met a friend for a drink, some of the spiritual grime that collects in those sorts of places. I remember walking out of there relieved to be out of murky and oppressive atmosphere, but it seems the murky, oppressive atmosphere followed me out! I set a light on my Santa Muerte altar and resolved to get up first thing before dawn to get the gunk off under her aegis (she is an exceedingly powerful saint to call on for spiritual cleansing). Shortly thereafter I retired for the evening and later that night had a vivid dream of her standing over me dressed in grey looking down - her steady gaze becoming a cool, very sweet wave slowly sweeping through my body. I woke up feeling incredible - squeaky clean. It appears La Muerte decided to do an impromptu cleansing on me during my sleep!

After this, it occurred to me to post about the importance of cleansing, and the importance of regular cleansing habit. Especially for magical practitioners who work with spiritual entities or read for others - regular cleansing is as important as brushing your teeth everyday. People sometimes have the impression that you should only cleanse when there is a problem but in fact you can and should do many small, quick cleansings as frequently as is practical. Had I done a two minute 'quickie' after leaving that bar with the icky feeling it might not have escalated to full blown streak of bad luck. A little bit of spiritual gunk soon begins attracting more gunk and then soon enough spirits that resonate with that vibration will begin taking their chances with you too. Now, I don't want to encourage OCD thinking with anxieties about pervasive spiritual contaminants lurking around every corner - so if you suffer from mental illness please skip this post. However, like with any other type of infection a bit of caution and some healthy personal hygiene, be it spiritual or physical, can serve to be an effective preventative.

You might be asking what 'quickie' cleansings I recommend? Here are a couple:


  1. My favourite simple and pleasant quickie cleanse is to splash some florida water on my hands and then sweep my hands over my limbs brushing the mess away. You can do each arm, over your head, down the front and back of your torso and down your legs - very briskly and with conviction. Remember to firmly brush the mess away from you. Some people clap behind each leg and the back to finish it off. You can do this before and after reading, spiritual work or whenever you feel it is called for.
  2. Take some small change rub it all over your body and throw it in the street, or crossroads. People will pick it up and the mess gets dispersed.
  3. The Lords Prayer and light. Recite Our Father and let light stream into your crown and down out of your feet. It takes about a minute and does the trick when you have nothing else at hand. Alternatively, praying a rosary along with light does an amazing clearing out job - albeit taking a bit longer.
  4. A white egg rolled over your body very effectively absorbs spiritual grime. You can do an egg cleansing for yourself in about five or ten minutes with a bit of practice - and it works brilliantly. The egg should be disposed of by throwing it in a crossroads, or in a pinch I break and flush the egg down the toilet.
These quicker cleansing techniques should ideally be supplemented with a full regular spiritual bath. I try to fit in at least one spiritual bath a week just to stay on top of things. Here is the recipe that is currently my personal favourite:

Three Ingredient Cleansing Bath:
Half a cup of Holy Water (proper Holy Water from a Church)
Tablespoon of Ammonia
Half a Cup of Salt

Add this to a jug of hot water (unless you want a cold shock). I like to take a tea-light, dress it with some uncrossing condition oil, light it and float it on the surface with a prayer (usually Our Father). I leave it to cool for a while and when it's the right temperature for bathing, I take the tea-light and put it on my boveda; and then I take the spiritual bath pouring the solution over me praying that all negative influences be removed washing down and away as I do. This usually leaves me feeling radiant and psychically minty fresh! :)

This sort of regime can work wonders because we all have a core of well-being and luck that is intrinsic. That is my belief.  When we are returned to our natural clear state things just flow better, coincidences are in our favour, we meet the right people and learn the right things. A good cleansing routine is central to staying in that healthy place and makes it possible for all the good things life and the universe has to offer us to be magnetised to us. It ensures our spirits and guides come through clearly and strongly. It ensures that our spell-work's results don't get warped unintentionally. It helps clear the connection points to your personal destiny and good fortune - ensuring that the earth is always solid beneath you and your feet are walking in the right direction.

5 comments:

  1. Does it really have to be a white egg? I haven't seen anything but brown eggs in the store in ages.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sure, other eggs will work too! I just like using white eggs if I can.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I make cleansing part of my regular practice. I have created a series of magical bodywashes using a unscented liquid soap base which I doctored up with EO's and what not. I pray over them and using them. One of my favorite is my spiritual cleansing, all clean smelling and hyssop-y. mmmm hyssop

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great tips thanks! I find it very interesting about the clocks btw, that one immediately made my ears prick up. One of the signs for me that I need a cleansing is when "time is against me." No matter how early I leave I'll be late somehow, or the appointment will be written down wrong at the other end and I'll show up on the wrong day, etc. When I am 'out of phase' like that, I need a tune-up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "I was glad when the reading revealed nobody was burning candles on my name, nor were any spirits pissed at me. It turns out I had picked something up in a bar where I met a friend for a drink.."

    So these are the ways in which one can become crossed (black magic, offended spirits and energies of the environment) Did I understand you correctly?

    ReplyDelete